- 1 canning kit (includes pot and utensils)
- 7, 1 quart jars
- 1/2 bushel of fresh peaches- we used Monroe peaches from SC
- 5 1/2 cups of sugar
- 5 1/2 cups of water
- lemon juice or citric acid powder to keep the peaches from turning brown
2. This part was the trickiest part of the whole deal- placing the peaches cut side down into the jar. This is the best way to fit the most peaches in as possible. We used a fork to gently coerce them into going cut side down because they really just wanted to go in the other way. You can probably see the impatience written all over my face ;)
4. Remove the air bubbles using this little tool that should have come with you canning kit.
5. Boil the lids so they are nice and hot.6. Wipe the tops of the jars with a cloth. Make sure they are clean and dry so that the lids adhere.
Recipe: Megan Forbes
Photos: Christina Hussey