I can't imagine decorating for Christmas without the idea of gathering branches and berries from the yard. The options are endless as to how to arrange these lovelies. I decided on a classic (not so classic) round wreath as well as a little bundle for hanging. I added a bit of fun with a tiny handmade banner and ribbon, of course. This is a great idea if you are entertaining and you want to add a bit of homemade Christmas magic before guests arrive. -Megan
A wide selection of vines, pine branches, berries, other tree branch varieties (as long as they look sturdy)
Green floral wire
Something to cut those branches down ;)
Directions for the little bundle:
1. Simply gather your favorite looking branches to use as a base- something you have the most of or will be able to stand its own behind the accent pieces.
2. Hold the bundle in one hand and add in pieces that will go on the front. This is a great time to add berries and a branch with a different color and texture. Be sure all of the ends of the stems meet together at the top
3. Wrap the top with wire really well so nothing falls out. Tie a ribbon around the wire at the top.
Directions for the round wreath:
1. I started with a base of vines that still had leaves on it. I coerced them into a circular shape and fastened it with wire. It takes a bit of trial and error and finding the right pieces to fit together.
2. After the base is made, I created a focal point at the bottom of the wreath by putting the myrtle seed pods on opposite sides and then filled it in with pine branches and beauty berries. These wreaths rely rather drastically on what sort of greenery you have available to you. All I can say is, work with what you have.
3. Tie a bow at the bottom and add this little banner (if you want).
Photos: Christina Hussey