Me and Christina went to the farmers market the other day. We came out of it with a pretty good haul of essential summer goods. My favorite thing I got that day were these dragon carrots and fresh garlic from local farmers. I cooked them and we couldn't help ourselves, we gobbled them up. The garlic had gotten caramelized and crisped and the carrots became sticky sweet. I had picked some parsley and oregano from my grandma's garden to throw into the mix as well.What makes this dish so good is the quality of ingredients- trust me, it makes a difference. I suggest you run to your local farmers market, pick up some goodies, and enjoy them with a friend.
- 1 lb dragon carrots, or any kind of small, tender carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbls. fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbls. fresh oregano, chopped
- salt (I used flaky Maldon)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If the carrots are small, slice them in half lengthwise and lay them in one layer on a sheet pan. Toss in the garlic slices, salt and pepper, half of the chopped herbs and drizzle it with oil.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until everything is perfectly golden. After it comes out of the oven toss the rest of the fresh herbs on top and serve.
Photos: Christina Hussey