These cookies are very rich and subtly spicy. They have a crisp outer shell and are nicely chewy on the inside. Give them a try and see how you like them.
- 3 egg whites
- 1.5 cups bittersweet chocolate
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the granulated sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and spices in a bowl.
- Melt the chocolate using either a double boiler or the microwave in 30 second intervals; set aside.
- Place the egg whites into the bowl of a mixer and whip until soft peaks form. Gradually add the 1 cup of powdered sugar (place the remaining 1/2 cup in a bowl and set aside). Once the powdered sugar is incorporated, gradually add the cocoa mixture.
- Gently fold in the melted chocolate. Form balls out of the dough and plunge them into the powdered sugar that has been set aside. Roll them in the sugar and place them on your baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.