I've always really liked Valentines day. I think it can be very cheesy, but it can also be made into something special. It is a great chance to make any of your loved ones feel special. So instead of buying something from the store, why not use it as an opportunity to make something with your hands and give it to someone special. All that being said, here is a little heart shaped cake topper for your viewing pleasure.
- Fresh thyme
- Floral wire
- Cake pop stick (can be purchased at the craft store)
- Scissors or wire cutters
- Heart shaped cake (use this recipe and use 3 9" cake pans instead of muffin tins. Once the cake is baked and cooled use a large heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the shapes out of the layers and then stack them and ice them)
- There may be an easier way to create a heart out of thyme, but here is what I did. I made a free form heart using several pieces of floral wire. You can also shape the wire using a cookie cutter.
- Once you have a heart made of wire, gently wire pieces of thyme to your heart.
- When you have it looking the way you like, take a small piece of wire and wrap it around the top of the cake pop stick.
- Let me know if this is too confusing and I can clear it up! Place the cake topper in your heart shaped cake* and you are good to go.
- If you're really feeling festive, you can make a few cupcakes and gently put the thyme on top of them in a circular fashion.
*you can use a round cake as well.
DIY: Megan Forbes
Photos: Christina Hussey