Here is a recipe that includes *some* zucchini and these fun little green zebra tomatoes that I planted. Both quickly pickled (hehe), while still warm from the garden, then layered with avocado and basil in what I like to think is a vegan caprese salad.
• 3 green tomatoes
• 1 large zucchini
• 1 avocado
• 1 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1 tbls coriander seeds, smashed
• 1 tsp black pepper seeds, smashed
• 2 tsp salt
• 1 tbls fennel seeds
• 2 tbls chopped, fresh, dill
• 3 garlic cloves, sliced or smashed
• 3 tbls honey
• 1 bunch fresh basil
• 1/4 or more of extra virgin olive oil
1. Slice the tomatoes and zucchini to about 1/4" thickness. Drop them into a jar or bowl.
2. Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind the spices and salt and then drop into the jar with the veggies.
3. Slice the garlic cloves and add to the jar as well.
4. Dissolve the honey into the vinegar and then pour over the veggies and spices. Allow to sit in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, at least.
5. Slice the avocado and layer with the pickled veggies and fresh basil leaves. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the top.
Recipe: Megan Forbes
Photos: Christina Hussey